Dark Chocolate Mud Cake
Original recipe came from "Women's Weekly Chocolate Cakes" mini book. But i've modified it so much that it no longer resembles that recipe. This is a really yummy, moist cake. I make it and once it's completely cooled, usually the day after baking, i wrap it well in plastic wrap, 4 times or more, then put it in a plastic bag and i freeze it. I have defrosted it up to 6 weeks later, just leave it on the counter for 8+ hours or overnight fully wrapped and then use as any other cake. You can use it fresh but freezing makes it more moist. If you only freeze it for 24 hours, that is still fine. But it will keep in the freezer for a long time. YUM
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. Heat milk and sugar in a heavy pan, once heated (do not allow it to boil)
3. Add butter and stir until melted
4. Add dark buttons and stir till all combined. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
5. Sift flours and cocoa together.
6. Add the two eggs and whiskey to the cooled liquid mixture above and then whisk in the flours.
7. Pour in a 8" round pan, and bake for 60-70 minutes, until done. It's done when a wooden skewer inserted in to the center comes out clean.(This cake can take considerably longer, i just baked one and a half recipes in a 10 inch pan and that took almost 3 hours)
I use 3 inch pans, with parchment paper on the base and a parchment collar on the sides.
The top of this cake can tends to be very crunchy, don't worry, just cut it off and discard, or eat it yourself ,it's yummy but not suitable to serve your customers or guests : )